TOWN OF TRUCKEE
December 18, 2018, 6:00 p.m.
Town Hall – Council Chambers
10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. ROLL CALL – Chair Kielas, Vice Chair Polivy, Commissioner Gadow, Commissioner Hall, and Commissioner Zabriskie.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. PUBLIC COMMENT – This is an opportunity for members of the public to address the Planning Commission on items which are not on this agenda. Please state your name for the record. Comments are limited to three minutes. Written comments should be submitted to the Planning Division 24 hours prior to the meeting to allow for distribution. Under state law, the Planning Commission cannot take action on an item not on the agenda. The Planning Commission may choose to acknowledge the comment or, where appropriate, briefly answer a question, refer the matter to staff, or set the item for discussion at a future meeting.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS (Major Review)
6.1 Continued from the December 18, 2018 regular meeting: Application 2018-00000088/ZC-PD-SP (West End Coffee and Tap Zoning Clearance, Planned Development and Sign Plan); Owner/Applicant: Mollie Hagar and Bjorn Anderson; 15897 South Shore Drive; APN 017-220-001-000. Laura Dabe, Assistant Planner.
The information provided in this memo is intended to address the requests for information from the Commission at the hearing on December 18, 2018, and to facilitate further discussion at the continued hearing. If the Commission has additional questions or finds that more information is needed in order to make a decision on the proposed project, staff and the applicant team will be available to answer any questions at the continued hearing.
Staff previously recommended several “big picture” topics for the Commission to consider as part of the project review:
- Parking – What is the appropriate parking demand for the project? Does the Commission support the applicants’ request to reduce the required parking to five spaces?
- Site Suitability – Is the project site physically suitable for the type and intensity of uses proposed? If not, should modifications be required to reduce the potential impacts (reduce the building size, modify the site layout, limit the types of uses allowed, limit the hours of operation, etc.)?
- Neighborhood Compatibility – Have potential impacts to the adjacent properties and surrounding neighborhood been appropriately addressed and mitigated?
- Required Findings – Can all the required findings to approve the Zoning Clearance, Planned Development and Sign Plan be made?
- General Plan Consistency – Is the project consistent with the policies in the General Plan related to neighborhood commercial development and the Donner Lake Neighborhood Area, both in terms of the appropriateness of the proposed uses and in minimizing impacts to the surrounding neighborhood?
Please refer to the staff reports dated November 15, 2018 and December 18, 2018 for previous analysis, discussion and information on required findings for the requested land use approvals. Links to these staff reports are included as Attachments #4 and #5 for reference.
7. APPOINTMENT PROGRAM
- Presentation to Outgoing Commissioners – Chair Kielas, Commissioner Gadow, Commissioner Polivy
- Public Comment
- Break for Refreshments
- Swearing in of New Commissioners – David Gove, Nikki Riley, Suzie Tarnay
- Selection of Chair
- Selection of Vice Chair
8. PUBLIC HEARINGS (Minor Review)
8.1 Application No. 2018-153/UP-MUP Best Western Hotel Bar; Owner/Applicant: Vista Truckee Tahoe, LLC.; Agent: Amanda Smith-Mauceri, Vista Investments Management Company; 11331 Brockway Road, APN 19-950-33. Kirk Skierski, Assistant Planner.
The applicant is requesting the following land use permits: 1). Use Permit approval to allow a “bar and drinking establishment” use in the form of a hotel bar; 2). Minor Use Permit approval to allow for the sale of alcohol, other than beer and wine; and 3). Determination of Public Convenience or Necessity for the addition of a California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control license within an area of over-concentrated alcohol licenses for a hotel bar within the Best Western Hotel located at 11331 Brockway Road (APN: 19-450-33). The project also includes interior remodel work for the hotel, including constructing a new reception desk/check-in area, and remodeling an existing “mini-mart”, hotel kitchen, lounge area, ADA access ramp and outdoor patio area.
Staff Recommendation: That the Planning Commission adopt Resolution No. 2019-02, determining the project categorically exempt pursuant to CEQA Guidelines Section 15301, Existing Facilities, and approve the Use Permit, Minor Use Permit and Determination of Public Convenience or Necessity based on the recommended findings and subject to the recommended conditions of approval.
The applicant is requesting approval of a Use Permit to add an event facility use at the Kitchen Collab, a collaborative kitchen space and culinary incubator located in the Crossroads Shopping Center at 11357 Deerfield Drive (APN 018-740-020-000). The applicant proposes to use approximately 1,075 square feet of the previously approved culinary kitchen space to host special events. Four to 10 events per month are proposed, with up to 150 guests. Proposed hours for the events range from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Per Development Code Section 18.12.030 (Commercial Manufacturing District Land Use and Permit Requirements), Use Permit approval is required to permit an event space use in the CG (General Commercial) zoning district.
Staff Recommendation: That the Planning Commission adopt Resolution 2019-01, approving the Use Permit, and determining the project exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act per Section 15061(b)(3) of the CEQA Guidelines.
9. SELECTION OF ALTERNATE GPAC REPRESENTATIVE
10. STAFF REPORTS – None.
11. INFORMATION ITEMS
11.1 Upcoming Commission meetings and agenda items
12. COMMISSION MEMBER REPORTS
13. ADJOURNMENT. To the next meeting of the Planning Commission, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 6:00 p.m. at 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA 96161.
POSTING: I declare a copy of this agenda was posted at Town Hall, 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA, on Thursday, January 10, 2019, by 5:00 p.m. Agenda packets are available for public review at Town Hall, Truckee Library and online at www.townoftruckee.com.
Any writings or documents provided to a majority of the Truckee Town Council regarding any item on this agenda will be made available for public inspection in the lobby of Truckee Town Hall located at 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA, during normal business hours.
For any item on this agenda, the Planning Commission may take the following actions: approve the item as recommended by staff, approve the item with modified conditions of approval and/or a different California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) determination, continue the item until a future meeting, or deny approval of the item.
NOTE: Public participation is encouraged. In compliance with Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 12132) and in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act, if you need special assistance to enable you to attend and participate in this meeting, or if you need the agenda or related materials in an alternative format, please contact the Town Clerk (530) 582-7700. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the Town to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to all aspects of this meeting. For information on recent changes to the Ralph M. Brown Act (effective January 1, 2003) with regard to ADA requirements, please see Government Codes 54953.2, 54954.1, 54954.2 and 54957.5.