The West River Site redevelopment will be a mixed use project along the Truckee River in downtown Truckee, featuring a riverfront park and river-oriented commercial offerings
Check out the video below to preview the current park design:
Learn more about the project background and plans here.
Take a brief survey to provide input the park design.
•Celebrate the Truckee River as a public asset
•Provide public riverfront access
•Utilize riparian restoration and native landscaping
•Catalyze river corridor improvement
Updates:The Town is currently working with landscape architecture firm Melton Design Group to complete design for the park.
- Conceptual Plan update (April 2020) View full 11" x 17" version here
- Riverfront pathway leading to overlook
- Site grading to open views of the River and create more gradual approach toward River
- Flat upper "Plaza" area with seating, public art, and informal gathering spaces
- Future connection to pedestrian bridge, leading to the Bright Property and Truckee River Legacy Trail
- Restoration of riparian edge and native plant landscaping
- Variety of seating areas, including picnic tables, benches, and seat walls
- River-oriented commercial offerings including outdoor dining
- The project has developed two Streetscape Options for parking and pedestrian/bicycle circulation. These options were presented to Town Council in March 2020. Future opportunities for input on this design are anticipated in late 2020.
The West river Site was occupied by the Truckee Lumber Company from 1885-1901. The property then serviced as the Nevada County Department of Transportation and Sanitation maintenance yard from approximately 1964-1994. The Town acquired the site from Nevada County in 2004 for future redevelopment.
In 2010-2011 the Redevelopment Agency hosted a series of three public workshops to solicit the community’s vision and to investigate the appropriate mix of open space and development on the West River Site.
The community vision that emerged was for a mixed-use site, on which a public park and river-oriented commercial development will work together to activate the site and provide public access to and views of the Truckee River. This plan is articulated in the 2011 Redevelopment Feasibility Study. This project was paused from 2011-2016 during completion of environmental cleanup of the site.
In 2017 the Town held a public workshop to re-start this project and confirm the 2011 concept plan. Using a public RFQ process, the Town then selected two development teams to partner with the Town on the site's commercial offerings.
Project background and related plans:
- Town of Truckee General Plan
- Truckee Downtown Specific Plan
- Downtown River Revitalization Strategy
- West River Site Redevelopment Feasibility Study
- 2011 and 2017 workshop summaries
- West River Site Parcel Map
For additional information regarding this project, please contact Hilary Hobbs, Management Analyst, at (530) 582-2914 or by e-mail.