How to Read the Zoning Map
Download a PDF copy of the 2018 Town Zoning Map
Go directly to the Zoning Map Index
There are two options for viewing the Town Zoning Map:
1. Download a comprehensive, color-coded PDF copy of the 2018 Town Zoning Map for easy viewing and navigating.
2. You can also use the Zoning Map Index and 31 separate map sheets covering the entire Town to locate your property. To find out the zoning on your property (that is, what zoning district your property is located) using the Index Map, go through the following steps:
- Look at the Index Map to determine which map sheet your property can be found. Your neighborhood will be located within a dark-lined rectangle that has a number; this number is the map sheet number.
- Go to that map sheet and locate your property. The map sheets show all property lines, streets, and street names, and you should be able to easily find your property.
- Zoning district boundaries are identified on the map by a bold line, and your property will be encompassed within the boundaries of one of these zoning districts. To determine the zoning district, look for the large bold letters within the zoning district boundaries - this is the zoning district designation.
- The zoning district designation is an abbreviation of the PRIMARY ZONING DISTRICT. Look in the legend on this page for the description of the zoning district designation. Your property will have only one primary zoning district unless it is cut in half by a zoning district boundary.
- If your zoning district designation has two parts separated by a hyphen (-), you have a specific RESIDENTIAL DENSITY applied to your property. The second part of the designation after the hyphen is the residential density; look in the legend on this page for your property's density.
- Your property may also be located in an OVERLAY DISTRICT. An overlay district is applied to properties that have special zoning regulations (e.g. historic preservation district, snow avalanche areas) above and beyond the zoning regulations established by the primary zoning district. If your property may be located in an overlay district, there will be a note on the right side of the map sheet referring you to another sheet. Go to that map sheet and locate your property. If your property is located within the overlay district boundaries, your property is in that Overlay District. Overlay districts are shown at the end of a zoning district designation separated by a hyphen.
Legend of Zoning District Abbreviations
|Primary Zoning Districts||Overlay Districts|
|RR - Rural Residential||-AO Airport Overlay (Sheets 29 and 30)|
|RS - Single Family Residential||-SA Snow Avalanche (Sheet 27)|
|RM - Multi-Family Residential||-HP Historic Preservation (Sheet 25)|
|DRS - Downtown Single Family Residential||-RP River Protection (Sheet 26)|
|DRM - Downtown Medium Density Residential|
|DRH - Downtown High Density Residential||Residential Densities|
|CN - Neighborhood Commercial||-X Further subdivision is prohibited|
|CG - General Commercial||-0.05 1 dwelling unit per 20 acres|
|CH - Highway Commercial||-0.10 1 dwelling unit per 10 acres|
|CS - Service Commercial||-0.15 1 dwelling unit per 7.5 acres|
|M - Manufacturing||-0.20 1 dwelling unit per 5 acres|
|DMU - Downtown Mixed Use||-0.50 1 dwelling unit per 2 acres|
|DC - Downtown Commercial||-0.67 1 dwelling unit per 1.5 acres|
|DVL - Downtown Visitor Lodging||-1 1 dwelling unit per acre|
|DM - Downtown Manufacturing/Industrial||-2 2 dwelling units per acre|
|RC - Resource Conservation||-4 4 dwelling units per acre|
|OS - Open Space||-6 6 dwelling units per acre|
|PF - Public Facilities||-10 10 dwelling units per acre|
|PC - Planned Community||-14 14 dwelling units per acre|
|DMP - Downtown Master Plan||-18 18 dwelling units per acre|
|DRR - Downtown Railroad||-15 15 dwelling units per acre
|LR - Lakeside Residential (Coldstream Specific Plan)||-24 24 dwelling units per acre|
|VGR - Village Green Residential (Coldstream Specific Plan)|
|OS-P - Open Space Protected (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|RMW - Workforce Multi-Family Residential (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|BIZ - Business Innovation Zone (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|BIZ-1 - Business Innovation Zone 1 (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|M1 - Manufacturing/Industrial ( (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|CR - Regional Commercial (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|CL - Lifestyle Commercial (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|
|CL-1 - Lifestyle Commercial 1 (Joerger Ranch Specific Plan)|