How the Truckee Planning Division is Responding:
At the Town of Truckee Planning Division, we are committed to helping the community we serve in good times and bad. As the situation around the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) develops, we continue to focus on the health and safety of the community. We have already taken a number of steps in support of our employees and customers including working remotely, collaborating with our community partners to share information and enhancing communication. Our next step is to reinstate some of our more routine tasks but in a new virtual platform. This includes virtual public meetings such as Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Advisory Commission and Zoning Administrator along with long-range policy planning such as the 2040 General Plan. We understand that these are uncertain times. We are taking action to respond to the challenges we are facing today, while also working to prepare for what the future may hold. The operational decisions we make are done in the community’s best interest with cautious balance in mind. Truckee is strong and we will get through this. We cannot predict what is next, but you have our continued commitment to serve the community to the best of our ability.
What does COVID-19 mean for Planning Division operations?
Because we are in uncertain times and are operating in new ways, your patience is appreciated as our response and turnaround timelines may be slower. If you have general planning questions, the fastest way to reach us is by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . Someone will assist you within 24 business hours. Some other key operational changes are listed below. Should any new direction / requirements / guidance be provided by the Federal Government, the State of California or Nevada County, we will update our operations accordingly.
- Planning Commission will resume virtually on May 19, 2020. Agenda and meeting details can be found on the Town’s Event Calendar.
- HPAC will resume virtually on June 10, 2020.
- The Zoning Administrator will resume virtually on May 6, 2020. Agenda and meeting details can be found on the Town’s Event Calendar.
Public comment is encouraged during our virtual public meetings. Please check each meeting’s Agenda on the Town’s Event Calendar for details on how to comment via email, text and voice message.
Upcoming General Plan Workshops:
- The Planning Division is holding a virtual workshop on the Downtown Specific Plan Update component of the General Plan Update. The workshop will be is now open for participation through May 31, 2020. Go to www.truckee2040.com to access the workshop and participate in the Town’s new virtual format. We understand that these are uncertain times and that some community members may not be able to fully participate in an online workshop platform. Because of this, we will host an in-person version of the workshop once it is safe to do so; more details will be posted once available.
- General Plan Land Use Designation Workshop—the date of this workshop is to-be-determined, but is currently being developed by the planners in a virtual format; more details will be posted once available.
Information / Application / Payment Submittal:
For our safety and yours, the Planning Division staff are working remotely and Town Hall is closed. This means that the best way to submit information is electronically (preferred) or by mail. Here is a quick reference guide:
- New Land Use Application Submittal –
- Option #1 -- mail your complete application with check payment to 10183 Truckee Airport Rd., Truckee, CA 96161, Attn: Planning Division. Your application will sit in quarantine for 5 days and then be accepted as a new application within one week of receipt, if it is complete. If the application is incomplete, a planner will contact you about how to provide additional information.
- Option #2 -- submit your complete application electronically to email@example.com. Your application will be assigned to a planner who will contact you about payment. The preferred payment is by credit card for electronic submittals. If the application is incomplete, a planner will contact you about how to provide additional information.
****Please note that processing timeframes will be slower due to the Town’s shift to new COVID-19 responsibilities and delayed hearing dates. Your project planner can discuss process timelines with you to strategize how best to meet your needs.****
- Payments –
We are accepting checks by mail to 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA 96161 (please note there is process lag time as our staff our not in the office daily) and also by credit card. To pay by credit card, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ; a planner will contact you by phone to take payment over the phone.
- Resubmittals –
If you are submitting new information for an active (already submitted) application, please e-mail your assigned planner directly to coordinate.
- Other Correspondence - If you are unsure of who to contact, please e-mail your question to email@example.com
The Planning Division's proposal process will continue. Please see each RFP for details. All posted RFPs can be seen here.
RFP for Professional Planning Services for Housing Site Analysis and Environmental Review: The Town is seeking proposals from qualified firms, consultants, or consultant teams to provide opportunity and constraint analysis on housing sites identified in the Town’s Housing Element and associated compliance with CEQA for any rezones and/or plan amendments pursued by the Town Council. – Proposal due May 5, 2020 @ 5 pm.
The Town of Truckee Planning Division is responsible for advance planning, development review, public information, and Development Code compliance. The activity is part of the Community Development Department and is managed by the Community Development Director and Planning Manager. The Planning Division provides staff support to the Town Council (elected representatives) and the Planning Commission (appointed citizen planners). The Town Council provides overall policy direction, adopts ordinances and regulations, and acts as the hearing body for appeals of Planning Commission and staff decisions. The Planning Commission provides policy recommendations to the Town Council and functions as a hearing body for larger projects within the Town.
To apply for a land use permit:
For information on current development projects:
Growth and Development
For information on historic preservation programs:
For copies of the General Plan, Development Code, Zoning Maps
and other planning documents: Plans and Regulations
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions:
For a map of active CIPs and Major Development Projects:
Town of Truckee Capital Improvement Projects (CIPS) and Planning Application Submittals Map
The Planning Division is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The office is closed on all legal holidays.
To contact any staff member by phone or email, please visit the Planning Staff page or call the main Planning Division phone number at (530) 582-7820, extension 2.