How the Truckee Planning Division is Responding:
At the Town of Truckee Planning Division, we are committed to helping the community we serve in good times and bad. As the situation around the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) develops, we continue to focus on the health and safety of the community. We have already taken a number of steps in support of our employees and customers including collaborating with our community partners to share information and enhancing communication.
Our next step is to begin to open the building counter by appointment. See below appointment scheduling details.
We have now begun conducting our public hearings in a virtual format. This includes virtual public meetings such as Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Advisory Commission and Zoning Administrator along with long-range policy planning such as the 2040 General Plan.
We understand that these are uncertain times. We are taking action to respond to the challenges we are facing today, while also working to prepare for what the future may hold. The operational decisions we make are done in the community’s best interest with cautious balance in mind. Truckee is strong and we will get through this. We cannot predict what is next, but you have our continued commitment to serve the community to the best of our ability.
What does COVID-19 mean for Planning Division operations?
Because we are in uncertain times and are operating in new ways, your patience is appreciated as our response and turnaround timelines may be slower. If you have general planning questions, the fastest way to reach us is by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org . Someone will assist you within 24 business hours. We are also available over the phone by calling the Town of Truckee at 530-582-7700 and asking for the Planning Division. Planners are available between 8am - 4pm. If the planner is away from their desk please leave a voice mail and your call will be returned.
Some other key operational changes are listed below. Should any new direction / requirements / guidance be provided by the Federal Government, the State of California or Nevada County, we will update our operations accordingly.
- Planning Commission meetings are occurring virtually. Agenda and meeting details can be found on the Town’s Event Calendar.
- The Zoning Administrator has resumed virtually. Agenda and meeting details can be found on the Town’s Event Calendar.
Public comment is encouraged during our virtual public meetings. Please check each meeting’s Agenda on the Town’s Event Calendar for details on how to comment via email, text and voice message.
Upcoming General Plan Workshops:
- General Plan Land Use Designation Workshop is live at Truckee2040.com! Participate in this virtual workshop until July 12, 2020.
Information / Application / Payment Submittal:
As Nevada County slowly moves into Stage 3, Town Hall will be reopening to allow some degree of public access.
While appointments will begin to be available, electronic submittals and all other inquires can also be handled via email or phone; an appointment does not necessarily need to be made but we want to provide further options to the public.
The Building Division counter will open starting on Tuesday, July 7th, for appointments only. Appointments will be available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8am to 12pm with 30-minutes time slots. You must schedule an appointment by 4pm of the previous chosen date by sending your request to email@example.com.
We have installed Plexiglass and will only allow two people at the counter to conform with social distancing guidelines. Also, facial covering is a requirement while in the building. Upon arrival the doors will be closed, please call (530) 582-7700 and ask to be transferred to the Planning Division to be let in for your scheduled appointment time. We appreciate your understanding while we go through this trial period
- New Land Use Application Submittal –
- Option #1 -- mail your complete application with check payment to 10183 Truckee Airport Rd., Truckee, CA 96161, Attn: Planning Division. Your application will sit in quarantine for 5 days and then be accepted as a new application within one week of receipt, if it is complete. If the application is incomplete, a planner will contact you about how to provide additional information.
- Option #2 -- submit your complete application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application will be assigned to a planner who will contact you about payment. The preferred payment is by credit card for electronic submittals. If the application is incomplete, a planner will contact you about how to provide additional information.
- Option #3 -- schedule an appointment to meet with a planner in person. See appointment scheduling details above.
****Please note that processing timeframes will be slower due to the Town’s shift to new COVID-19 responsibilities and delayed hearing dates. Your project planner can discuss process timelines with you to strategize how best to meet your needs.****
- Payments –
We are accepting checks by mail to 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA 96161 and also by credit card. To pay by credit card, please e-mail email@example.com ; a planner will contact you by phone to take payment over the phone.
- Resubmittals –
If you are submitting new information for an active (already submitted) application, please e-mail your assigned planner directly to coordinate.
- Other Correspondence - If you are unsure of who to contact, please e-mail your question to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 582-7700 and ask to speak to the Planning Division
The Town of Truckee Planning Division is responsible for advance planning, development review, public information, and Development Code compliance. The activity is part of the Community Development Department and is managed by the Community Development Director and Planning Manager. The Planning Division provides staff support to the Town Council (elected representatives) and the Planning Commission (appointed citizen planners). The Town Council provides overall policy direction, adopts ordinances and regulations, and acts as the hearing body for appeals of Planning Commission and staff decisions. The Planning Commission provides policy recommendations to the Town Council and functions as a hearing body for larger projects within the Town.
To apply for a land use permit:
For information on current development projects:
Growth and Development
For information on historic preservation programs:
For copies of the General Plan, Development Code, Zoning Maps
and other planning documents: Plans and Regulations
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions:
For a map of active CIPs and Major Development Projects:
Town of Truckee Capital Improvement Projects (CIPS) and Planning Application Submittals Map
The Planning Division is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The office is closed on all legal holidays.
To contact any staff member by phone or email, please visit the Planning Staff page or call the main Planning Division phone number at (530) 582-7820, extension 2.