DUE TO COVID-19 HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS, THE BUILDING DIVISION COUNTER WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
On behalf of the Truckee Community Development Department, our hearts go out to all those impacted by COVID-19—this includes our friends, family, businesses and community members and partners. Our focus is, as always, on the health and safety of our employees, customers and community. To do our part in slowing the spread of the virus, we have decided to temporarily work remotely starting March 17, 2020. What this means is that if you need to get a hold of us, e-mail will be your best option until further notice. We will still be answering the mainline number of 530-582-7821, but it may take longer to get a response than by e-mail. We will do our best!
The Building Division will continue to operate, but under extreme caution:
- We will continue to do inspections as follows:
- Unoccupied residences or when there aren't several people onsite during inspections and everyone adhere to the social distancing requirements.
- Please leave plans readily accessible. Staff will conduct inspections independently and provide any needed information at the conclusion of the inspection.
- If any document needs to be turned in to complete the inspection, please email it to us at email@example.com.
- We ask applicants/contractors to not request non-essential inspections (HVAC and Water Heater replacements, final inspections, final window change-outs, etc.) for the time being.
- Any inspection request that are determined as non-essential may be cancelled at any time and we will communicate cancellation.
- Anytime staff or a customer is uncomfortable or concerned, the inspection will be cancelled.
- Facetime, Skype or other digital inspection options may be allowed at the discretion of the project inspector as communicated with the customer.
- Permits/applications are still being processed. Visit the Online Permits/Inspections page for guidelines on submitting permit requests online.
- Because we have closed Town Hall to the public, your fastest option will be to submit plans electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org . Should, for whatever reason, you need to submit paper plan sets we will have a drop-off box in the Town Hall lobby in front of the Building Division entry door. This box will be checked daily, but plans will be placed in a temporary quarantine for the safety of our employees. Equally, if you need to pick-up any hard copy paperwork, this should be pre-arranged with the building division; plans for pick-up will also be placed in box in front of the building division door.
- Payments can still be made with a credit card over the phone or through Esuite
- Business hours will continue to be between 7:30 am and 4 pm.
- We are staffed to assess any potential life safety issues that may arise requiring immediate attention.
- We may need more time to help you, we don’t anticipate increased plan check turnaround times for now.
- Most staff will be working remotely, therefore email is the best form of contact (email@example.com).
RECOMMENDED JOB SITE PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Please implement the following guidance to your active project in order to prevent the job site from being shut down. These should be actively monitored to ensure compliance:
- Workers should be using gloves appropriate to the task and compatible with materials being handled.
- Workers should be using masks when working closer than 6 ft .
- Limit the number of workers on site, when feasible - schedule appropriately.
- In person meetings should be limited (conducted by phone when possible) and unnecessary staff should not be on site.
- Do not share gloves, phones, food.
- Workers must maintain social distancing guidelines and increase personal space to at least 6 feet when possible.
- Disperse parking to maintain social distance
- Good hygiene practices should be enforced: hand sanitizer and washing station must be available for staff
- If there is a trailer on site, only necessary personnel should enter the trailer and all must wear masks and maintain social distancing while inside.
- Site deliveries should be properly coordinated with minimal to no contact and appropriate cleaning protocol
- Institute a rigorous housekeeping practice: trailers, portable toilets, commonly touched items, etc. shall be cleaned and sanitized regularly
- Communicate/train/educate workers on general precautions
- If you feel sick, and/or have been exposed to anyone who is sick, stay at home
- Signs with COVID-19 guidelines/prevention should be posted at various location on site (click here for an English/Spanish version of a poster from the CA department of Public Health).
Please check back on this page for updates.
Welcome to the Building Division
The Building and Safety Division is committed to assuring safety in the built environment while meeting the needs of the development community in an efficient, equitable and cost effective manner.
We strive to maintain the highest level of customer service and technical expertise possible while respecting human dignity.
We promote open communication while providing honest and accurate information and encourage positive working relationships by cooperating and sharing information and resources.
Effective January 1st, 2020,
the Town of Truckee is enforcing the 2019 California Building Codes. All new submittals must be designed, engineered and constructed to these new codes and must reference them in the project submittal documentation.
The most significant change is the solar system requirement. The 2019 California Energy Code requires solar photovoltaic systems to be installed on new single family and low-rise residential construction (R-2, multifamily, with 3 habitable stories or less; or R-3, single family; or U-building, located on a residential site).
As many of our roof design snow loads are greater than available PV panel capacities, we are pursuing a high snow load exception with the California Building Standards Commission. Stay tuned for more information.
Building Division Contact Information:
The Building Division hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.