DUE TO HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS, THE BUILDING DIVISION COUNTER WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
On behalf of the Truckee Community Development Department, our hearts go out to all those impacted by COVID-19—this includes our friends, family, businesses and community members and partners. Our focus is, as always, on the health and safety of our employees, customers and community. The situation is changing rapidly, and to do our part in slowing the spread of the virus, we have decided to temporarily work remotely going into effect today, March 17, 2020. What this means is that if you need to get a hold of us, e-mail will be your best option until further notice. We will still be answering the mainline number of 530-582-7821, but it may take longer to get a response than by e-mail. We will do our best!
The Building Division will continue to operate, but under extreme caution:
- We will continue to do inspections as follows:
- Unoccupied residences or when there aren't several people onsite during inspections and everyone adhere to the social distancing requirements.
- Please leave plans readily accessible. Staff will conduct inspections independently and provide any needed information at the conclusion of the inspection.
- If any document needs to be turned in to complete the inspection, please email it to us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We ask applicants/contractors to not request non-essential inspections (HVAC and Water Heater replacements, final inspections, final window change-outs, etc.) for the time being.
- Any inspection request that are determined as non-essential may be cancelled at any time and we will communicate cancellation.
- Anytime staff or a customer is uncomfortable or concerned, the inspection will be cancelled.
- Facetime, Skype or other digital inspection options may be allowed at the discretion of the project inspector as communicated with the customer.
- Because we have closed Town Hall to the public, your fastest option will be to submit plans electronically to email@example.com . Should, for whatever reason, you need to submit paper plan sets we will have a drop-off box in the Town Hall lobby in front of the Building Division entry door. This box will be checked daily, but plans will be placed in a temporary quarantine for the safety of our employees. Equally, if you need to pick-up any hard copy paperwork, this should be pre-arranged with the building division; plans for pick-up will also be placed in box in front of the building division door.
- Payments can still be made with a credit card over the phone or through Esuite
- Business hours will continue to be between 7:30 am and 4 pm.
- We are staffed to assess any potential life safety issues that may arise requiring immediate attention.
- We may need more time to help you, we don’t anticipate increased plan check turnaround times for now.
- Most staff will be working remotely, therefore email (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the best form of contact.
Please check back on this page for updates.
Welcome to the Building Division
The Building and Safety Division is committed to assuring safety in the built environment while meeting the needs of the development community in an efficient, equitable and cost effective manner.
We strive to maintain the highest level of customer service and technical expertise possible while respecting human dignity.
We promote open communication while providing honest and accurate information and encourage positive working relationships by cooperating and sharing information and resources.
Effective January 1st, 2020,
the Town of Truckee is enforcing the 2019 California Building Codes. All new submittals must be designed, engineered and constructed to these new codes and must reference them in the project submittal documentation.
The most significant change is the solar system requirement. The 2019 California Energy Code requires solar photovoltaic systems to be installed on new single family and low-rise residential construction (R-2, multifamily, with 3 habitable stories or less; or R-3, single family; or U-building, located on a residential site).
As many of our roof design snow loads are greater than available PV panel capacities, we are pursuing a high snow load exception with the California Building Standards Commission. Stay tuned for more information.
Building Division Contact Information:
The Building Division hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.