Green bag collection ended June 30, 2018.
Green waste cart service began July 1. Residents can opt-in to receive up to three green yard waste carts. Carts are serviced every-other-week, May 1 - October 31.
How to use your green waste cart:
- No plastic bags
- Place yard waste materials directly in: pine needles, grass clippings, pine cones, branches, shrubs
- Serviced every-other week on your trash collection day, May 1- October 31
- Check the calendar to the right for a collection schedule
Creating defensible space is everyone’s responsibility in Truckee to keep our community safe from wildfires. Reduce the fuel by collecting branches, twigs, dead wood, shrubs, pine needles, and pine cones. Once you have created the defensible space, it is important to know how to get rid of this material in an adequate matter.
These options exist for your home when looking to dispose of wildfire fuel.
1. GREEN BAGS end in June
The last free pick-up of green bags will take place on your regular service date, during the week of June 25-29.
Please note that green bags will no longer be serviced for free after July 1, 2018!
2. Opt-in to Yard Waste Carts
Residents may opt-in to receive up to 3 yard waste carts
These will begin service July 2-6
3. Self-Haul to Eastern Regional Landfill
This program is FREE to use!
Drop-off up to 6-yards of yardwaste for free.
Load and unload yourself – do not bring bags!
*NEW* this year, beginning July 1, call TTSD at 530-583-7800 to get a coupon code for your contractor to drop-off up to 6-yards for you!
4. Onsite Pickup
Only $70 per dumpster.
6 yard dumpster, maximum of 2 per household.
Call TTSD to order at (530) 583-7800.
Available May- September only. These will sell out, so book in advance!
Delivered to property on Wednesday and retrieved full the following Wednesday.
Loose material only – do not put in bags!!
5. Scheduled Overages
Up to 4 times per year, TTSD will collect up to 96-gallons of additional waste on a resident’s regular pick-up day for FREE.
Residents must call TTSD in advance to schedule the overage.
This can include extra green waste!
Waste can be secured in cans, bags, or bundles.
6. Rebate Program through Truckee Fire!
The Defensible Space Rebate Program will get you $150 back on your defensible space work that was completed by a licensed contractor.
Go to Truckeefire.org or call 582-7850 for rebate rules and more information.
- The Fire District will rebate $150 on vegetation work done by a licensed defensible space contractor this summer, 2018.
- Limited funds available. The program ends when funds are gone.
- Bring in an invoice to the Fire District office during normal business hours at 10049 Donner Pass Rd, from a licensed contractor, describing the type of work that was completed and the total amount of the work exceeding $150.
- Rebate will be mailed 30 days after receipt of the invoice.
- One rebate per property. Property must be within the Truckee Fire District boundaries.
- This rebate does not include new construction defensible space work.
Cal Fire has a great resource to teach people how to create defensible space, and be ready in case of a wildfire: http://www.readyforwildfire.org/