Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Events
Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal (TTSD) provides residents and commercial customers the opportunity to properly dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) on specially scheduled collection events throughout the spring, summer and fall. All events occur at the Eastern Regional Landfill and require an appointment to participate.
Upcoming HHW Events for Residents and Commercial Customers
| COMMERCIAL: FRIDAYS
|| PUBLIC: SATURDAYS
Appointments are free to residents; fees apply to commercial customers.
Call Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal at 530.583.0148 to schedule your appointment.
Look for any of these key words to assist you in identifying HHW. HHW is any chemical product in your home that is toxic, flammable, combustible, explosive, corrosive, or otherwise dangerous. REMEMBER: It is illegal to dispose of these materials in your garbage!
Accepted Items (include but not limited to):
- Contaminated motor oil
- Contaminated gasoline
- Brake fluid
- Automotive Chemicals
- Drain opener
- Oven cleaner
- Florescent lamps and bulbs
- Rug Cleaner
- Chlorine bleach
- Pool and Spa chemicals
- Furniture polish
- Rubber cement
- Silver polish
- Tub/tile Cleaner
- Toilet Cleaner
Items NOT Accepted Include
- Explosives/ammunition – for information on the proper disposal please call 582-2909.
- Radioactive materials.
- Gas cylinders.
- Biohazards (syringes in rigid plastic containers).
Restrictions: 15 gallons or 125 lbs.
Tips for Handling Household Hazardous Waste
- Transport liquids in a spill/leakproof container.
- Keep hazardous products in their original containers with label securely attached and readable.
- Store waste in a cool, dry place and out of reach of children.
When Purchasing Hazardous Products
- Buy only as much of the material as you need and/or share excess with friends and neighbors.
- Whenever possible, find nontoxic alternatives to products that are known to be toxic, flammable, combustible, explosive, corrosive, or otherwise dangerous. If a product says "danger", "caution", "warning", or "poison", it is HHW.
- To download Nevada County’s Choose Again Booklet, a booklet dedicated to safe alternatives to chemicals visit Nevada County Recycles.
Small Quantity Generator Hazardous Waste Information:
If your business generates no more than a total of 27 gallons or 220 pounds of hazardous waste (including used oil) per month, then you are considered to be a special class of small business called a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator.
Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal provides hazardous waste collection service for "Small Quantity Generator" businesses by appointment only. Call 530-583-0148 for an appointment. Fees apply for commercial/business HHW disposal. Items accepted are the same as for residential waste.