Updated May 22, 2018
At the May 8, 2018 Town Council hearing, the Town Council approved housing-related Development Code amendments baed on direction by the Town Council's goals and direction to increase availability of housing, the adopted Housing Element programs, the Housing Work Plan. The topics addressed are:
- Workforce Housing Ordinance
- Housing Element Implementation
- Density Bonuses, Concessions, and Incentives
- Transitional and Supportive Housing
- Housing Work Plan – Find ways to modify the Development Code to address housing
For more information, access the April 24, 2018 staff report for the first reading of the ordinance here. The revised ordinance will be in effect starting June 8, 2018.
Updated March 9, 2018
At the January 9, 2018 Town Council hearing, the Town Council modified the implementation of the traffic and facilities impact fees to be based on a square footage basis rather than a per unit basis. This modification incentivizes construction of smaller units and does not increase fees for conversion of existing living area to a secondary residential unit. The change in the fees went into effect on March 1, 2018. The updated fee schedule is located here.
Updated November 20, 2017
On November 14, 2017, the Town Council received a Housing Work Plan progress report.
Housing Work Plan
In both 2016 and 2017, the Town of Truckee Town Council identified increasing the availability of "locals" housing as a key community priority. In August 2016, the Town Council reviewed the completed 2016 Regional Housing Study and directed staff to plan multiple housing workshops to take a more in-depth look at the housing issue and provide the community with opportunities for input.
A Housing Work Plan was formulated based on the outcomes of the Housing Workshops. On May 23, 2017, the Town Council reviewed the Housing Work Plan and directed staff to move forward with the plan, with key tasks prioritized. Based on this direction, staff is working on components of the Housing Work Plan as identified below:
- The Town of Truckee is a member of the Mountain Housing Council, a multi-stakeholder group of government agencies, developers, land owners, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and community members that seeks solutions to the region's housing challenges. Staff provides technical support and participates in ongoing task groups.
- The Town of Truckee is working with the Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD) on three housing development sites within the Gray's Crossing Specific Plan area to maximize the opportunities of "locals" housing while resolving the financial challenges within the Gray's Crossing Community Facilities District.
- Analysis is being completed to modify the Town's impact fee to be calculated on a square footage basis rather than a per unit basis for residential uses. Staff anticipates presentation of the findings and recommendation to Council in fall 2017.
- Staff is working on engaging a consultant to analyze the feasibility and impact of potential housing funding sources. Staff anticipates that the study will kick-off in late August/early September 2017.
- The second unit ordinance of the Development Code is being reviewed. Reduced parking requirements and introduction of junior accessory units are expected to be proposed to the Planning Commission and Town Council in fall 2017.
- The Development Code is being reviewed to find ways to incentivize housing. The potential updates will likely be incorporated within planned Housing Element implementation updates in late 2017/early 2018.
- The affordable housing in-lieu fee and workforce housing ordinance are also being reviewed for updates. Staff anticipates bringing information and recommendations in the fall of 2017.
In addition to these tasks and the items identified in the Housing Work Plan, the Town of Truckee will continue to explore other solutions and ideas. The list provided above is only a summary of the items that Town staff is currently working on.
For more information on the Housing Work Plan, contact Yumie Dahn, Associate Planner, by phone at (530) 582-2918 or by email at email@example.com.
The Town of Truckee, in partnership with Nevada and Placer Counties, the Workforce Housing Association of Truckee Tahoe (WHATT), and the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation, has hired Bay Area Economics (BAE) to conduct a regional housing study for the North Tahoe region. Click on the link above to take the survey and view more information on the study.The Town of Truckee is mandated by State law to update its Housing Element. On January 13, 2015, the Town Council adopted a new Housing Element for the planning period 2014-2019. Click on the link above to view the current Housing Element.
Housing Advisory Work GroupThe Town Council has established a citizens advisory committee established by the Council to assist the Council and Town staff in implementing important housing programs identified in the Housing Element and the preparation of the 2014-2014 Housing Element Update. The Work Group is currently reviewing amendments to the Development Code and preparing an administrative guidelines and procedures manual for the Town's affordable housing programs.
Affordable Housing RequirementsThe Town Council has adopted a workforce housing ordinance and inclusionary housing ordinance requiring commercial, industrial, and residential projects to provide affordable housing as part of the development.