Beginning August 1, 2016, the Town of Truckee is offering rebates for removal of non-compliant solid fuel burning devices, including woodstoves and fireplace inserts. The available rebates are $600 for replacement of a non-certified solid fuel burning device with a Phase II EPA Certified device, or $1,000 for replacement of a non-certified solid fuel burning device with a gas insert, free-standing gas stove or zero clearance gas fireplace, for a maximum of $1,600 per residential unit. Rebates are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and will end when the designated air quality mitigation funds are exhausted.
How the Rebate Program Works
- Determine your rebate eligibility by using our How Do I Know if My Stove is Compliant? and Woodstove Tips information sheets to identify whether your appliance qualifies as a non-compliant solid fuel burning device.
- Apply for a building permit for the removal of the non-compliant solid fuel burning device. Be sure to inform the permit technician that you are interested in qualifying for a rebate so that it may be noted on your permit.
- Complete a Woodstove Rebate Request application form. Complete a Woodstove Disposal Verification form - this must be filled out & signed by the party disposing of the woodstove (either an authorized local retailer or the Eastern Regional Landfill).
- Once a building permit has been issued and work has been completed, schedule a final inspection. The Town building inspector will verify that the non-compliant solid fuel burning device has been removed from the property.
- Submit the completed Woodstove Rebate Request application form and Woodstove Disposal Verification form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on in person to the Community Development Department at 10183 Truckee Airport Road. Your application materials can be processed so long as a final inspection has been passed.
- Staff will notify you by email if your application qualifies for the rebate program and will provide an estimated date when the rebate will be processed.
For more information, please use the links below:
For additional information on the Non-Compliant Woodstove Removal Rebate Program, please contact the Planning Division at (530) 582-7820, extension 2. For questions on applying for a building permit, please contact the Building Division at (530) 582-7821 or email@example.com.
The Planning Division is responsible for the Town's air quality planning and implementing and enforcing the Town's air quality programs. These programs are in addition to the programs and services provided by the Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District. The Town's air quality efforts since incorporation have focused on particulate matter (woodsmoke, road dust, etc.), and the Town Council has adopted a Particulate Matter Air Quality Management Plan to reduce particulate matter emissions and improve air quality in the Truckee air basin. Click on the links below to learn more about particulate matter air quality in Truckee.
Air Quality Regulations
The Town's air quality regulations as established in Title 7 of the Municipal Code. Title 7 regulates the types of solid fuel burning appliances that may be installed in the Town of Truckee (see Chapter 7.03) and requires the removal of non-certified woodstoves and fireplace inserts (see Chapter 7.06).
Truckee Particulate Matter Air Quality Management Plan
The Town's policy document on particulate matter air quality, including the control strategies to reduce particulate matter emissions and improve air quality. The annual reports summarize the particulate matter air quality for the Truckee air basin and the Town's efforts to improve air quality.
The annual reports summarize the particulate matter air quality for the Truckee air basin and the Town's efforts to improve air quality.
For information regarding removal of non-certified Solid Fuel Burning Devices, please use the following links:
Contact Information: For more information on air quality in Truckee, contact the Planning Division at (530) 582-2937 or the Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District.