In addition to the normal over-the-counter plan review offered throughout the week for certain types of permits (re-roofs, water heaters, etc.), the Community Development Department also offers an over-the-counter plan review program for additional types of projects every Thursday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. This process allows smaller projects the opportunity to gain approval from Planning, Building and Engineering without having the back-and-forth of correction lists and responses.
From 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., over-the-counter plan review takes place on a walk-in (first-come, first-serve) basis. The hours between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. are appointment only.
The Community Development Department takes appointments for over-the-counter plan review at 20-minute intervals. The appointment slots are aimed at capturing the more complex projects allowed within the program (additions, conversions, detached garages, minor tenant improvements, decks, etc., which typically require more research). See below for information on scheduling an appointment.
What Projects are Eligible for Over-the-Counter Review?
- Projects that do not encroach into a required setback or easement (unless the projection is allowed under Development Code Section 18.30.120.E, Allowed Projections into Setbacks).
- A site plan and survey are required for Over-the- Counter Thursday review unless the project is exempt per the Over-the-Counter Thursday Submittal Requirements.
The types of projects included in “Over-the-Counter Thursdays” include the following:
- Alterations or repairs to existing structures (no conversions)
- Decks and Covered Patios (new and additions)
- Patios (new and additions)
- Residential remodels with structural changes
- Sign change-outs
- Historic Buildings: interior remodel work not affecting the building exterior; exterior work including like-for-like material and color replacement (doors, windows, roofing, etc.)
- Residential additions or conversions ≤ 600 s.f. total (including any remodel square footage)
- Detached garages ≤ 600 s.f.
- Minor commercial tenant improvements (no accessibility reviews, HPAC review, projects requiring outside district approval, additional footprint, or changes in use)
- Other types of projects as determined by the Chief Building Official and Planning Manager
For projects requiring a survey: If a survey waiver is requested, the project will be a regular submittal and will not qualify for the Over-the-Counter Thursday program.
If your project is on a septic system, Nevada County Environmental Health Department approval may be required. For more information, please use the following link: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/2288/Town-of-Truckee
The above list does not eliminate the typical over-the-counter permits (re-roofs, water heaters, gas conversions, electrical upgrades and change-outs, small remodels such as bathrooms and kitchens, etc.), which staff will continue to issue throughout the week.
If you have questions about whether a project is eligible for over-the-counter review, please contact the Building Division at 530-582-7821.
Making an Appointment
To make an appointment, please submit the following forms by 10 a.m. on the Monday prior to your requested appointment to email@example.com, indicating the date and time of your preferred appointment:
- Over the Counter Thursday Appointment Form
- Over the Counter Thursday Submittal Checklist
- Building permit request form (Residential or Commercial)
- Any other documents that will assist staff in preparing for the appointment.
You may also call 530-582-7821 to schedule the appointment. You will receive a confirmation email when your appointment is scheduled.
If you need assistance in determining which forms are required, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-582-7821 and staff will assist you.
Please see the Residential Plan Submittal Checklist and Commercial Plan Submittal Checklist for the number of plan sets required, electronic submittal instructions and additional submittal information.
We will make every effort to accommodate any requests during “Over-the-Counter Thursdays,” but reserve the right to render a decision that the project is too complex for this program and will need to be a regular submittal.